I have my own history with sexual abuse, limited and oh-so-minute compared with the pain of others. But I wanted to spread the word a bit concerning the whole Roman Polanski drama.
If you don’t know the history, it’s actually quite simple:
–In 1978 Roman Polanski pleaded guilty to and underwent psychiatric treatment for the rape of a 13-year-old girl. Yes, THIRTEEN!
–He was okay in pleading guilty at the time, because he ‘thought’ he knew what his punishment would be; the judge changed their mind, throwing Polanski into flight in hear of having to spend years in jail
–He’s finally been arrested, in Switzerland, on these charges and is awaiting extradition decisions from the judicial system there.
Folks – I didn’t realize so much about what this meant when I heard his name in passing on the news. There’s such a controversy that SHOULDN’T be. How could ANYONE think it’s okay for a 13 year old to be drugged and raped? How could a THIRTEEN year old possibly give consent? Feel free to talk it up here if you would like … free thought place here, just know I don’t want anonymous posting for this one.
Another great wrap-up post of this one, and the one which actually gave me my information:
‘s Journal, and the post HERE. Her post makes mention of a petition which has been started, click the LJ cut below to find out more …
The Petition: linked to HERE
In response to the petition advocating the release of Roman Polanski, who was arrested in Switzerland after fleeing US justice for over 30 years despite pleading guilty in court to the rape of a thirteen-year-old girl in 1978, we, the undersigned, express our:
– support for the authorities involved in efforts to make Polanski finally face justice for this crime in the United States of America,
– condemnation of the "Petition for Roman Polanski" and its signatories, who have sought to use the admiration they receive from fans around the world to somehow minimize a crime of rape,
– belief that all lives be valued and that crimes against a child not be ignored because the perpetrator of those crimes is an admittedly significant artist,
– frustration with those in the public eye who have questioned whether "no means no" and whether "rape is rape" in regard to this or any rape case,
– sincere apologies to the victim of Polanski’s crime for any part this petition has in prolonging her suffering because of his actions.